Forums Security Upgrade - Please Read

Read the most current and up to date news on the web site.
Jason
Administrator

Forums Security Upgrade - Please Read

Unread post by Jason » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:43 am

After looking at some of the people logging in I noticed they were trying to login as numerous members of the forums including myself. Yes, those nasty bots are trying to hack into yours and my account. To prevent this I have installed a new security measure. It will lock your account to an IP.

I suggest you make sure you password is not a dictionary word or something a bit more complicated than say "password1".

To enable the IP protection you need to make sure you have a static IP first of all, or know all the common IPs you are assigned. Go to your Profile > Account Related Settings > IP Address Account Protection, then enter one or more IPs to block the bots.

Any questions, feel free to ask thup01
A new day, a new beginning

Fixing H&D2 Multiplayer tutorial

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Re: Forums Security Upgrade - Please Read

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:25 pm

What happens when my IP changes? Looks like you found a loophole to ban me! :mrgreen:
Eight, 8, the burning eight; between Sunday and Monday exists a day so great, it will devastate. :twisted:

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:09 pm

This has nothing to do with banning so I'm not sure why you bring it up, but there are other ways I can ban people - just asking the many, MANY bots that are currently banned (but still try to access the website) :mrgreen:

Lars
Commando

Unread post by Lars » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:48 pm

Instead of linking an profile to an static ip you should ban the ip's from the bots .. as I see you get them logged ... In my case 173.74.155.146 & 173.193.221.28 .. well or just ban all us providers .. guess there aren't many users from there here  :twisted:

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:45 pm

Point is I am getting email spammed by failed log in attempts now, so if I lock my account to an IP, then when it changes, how do I get back in? Effectively banned? :lol:
Eight, 8, the burning eight; between Sunday and Monday exists a day so great, it will devastate. :twisted:

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:45 pm

I can turn off the emailing (will do after this post). And you can reset your IP like your password via email. Obviously spammers don't have access to your email.

I can't ban all the bots because there are just too many. Blocking by hostname does help but it's really never the best measure to tackle against bots.