Problem with creating a new usable tank

Discuss modding & editing for H&D Deluxe using the Insanity 2 editor and 3d Studio Max here.
p.jakub88
Major

Problem with creating a new usable tank

Unread post by p.jakub88 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:01 pm

Hello everyone,

i thought, that it could be a great idea to add to H&D Deluxe another usable tank - in this case Matilda II. :grin:

I managed to download a good looking model and textures from http://www.cadnav.com/3d-models/model-40323.html - included the destroyed version. I converted it to *.i3d format using 3ds max.

I added 4 seats to this tank and connected all collision dummies - i used the default Sherman model as a reference.

I also used all data from the Sherman tank to set all settings for my Autocannon actor (cannon, automobil and version properties).

The seats in this new tank works well - all crew members stay invisible while manning the Matilda II.

After placing the tank model in HDD editor some elements need to be re-sized to the value of 0.085959. In addition the right tracks of the destroyed and non-destroyed model need to be turned 360 degrees to match the wheels. This is not a big problem, because the tank still remains intact - all the parts are present in appropriate spots.

However, when i tested this new tank in HDD editor few errors occurred:

- when You start the tank's engine and start to ride the tank it will not move according to player's moves, but instead is "jumping" from place to place - it looks like a kind of teleport;

- when You start shooting from the tank's gun the cannon shell explode inside the tank destroying it (!), instead of leaving the barrel;

- before the shot, the tank's turret will rotate almost 360 degrees (when one of the SAS commandos act as a gunner).

I previously successfully converted a Japanese field gun model into an usable version, which could be encountered in some of my new mission add-ons for H&D Deluxe.

I will attach the new tank model and related textures. Any help will be appreciated!
Attachments
Matilda II.rar
(698.2 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
Last edited by p.jakub88 on Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

p.jakub88
Major

Re: Problem with creating a new usable tank

Unread post by p.jakub88 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:20 pm

Finally i was able to fix the problem with the tank's cannon. :grin:

It seems, that a dummy called "head" is responsible for the spot from which the shell is fired from a tank's cannon. I linked the dummy with the cannon's barrel, moving the dummy at the end of the barrel. Now, the barrel could move up and down at degrees specified in HDD Editor - i personally put 5 degrees up and 5 degrees down for the best results. The tank's turret also could turn left and right making a full circle. :grin:

I will add more volumes (collisions) to the tank, so it will collide with other objects and actors correctly.

Below i posted an image showing how the tank actually looks like plus the moment when it shot from the cannon. The picture was taken from the HDD Editor (the tank won't be different in the actual game) and the target is a German soldier who volunteered for the test. :grin:

However, i am still experiencing problems with the tank movements as i described in my previous post. :sad:

EDIT: So far, i managed to force the tank to turn left, right and spin around, while the tank remain in place. However i cannot move forward or backward. It seems, that this problem might be related to the wheels dummies or joints. Something is "holding the tank to the ground" like a static collision type. I will try to put different settings into Autocannon actor and see what happens.
Attachments
Matilda II.jpg
Matilda II.jpg (53.94 KiB) Viewed 639 times
Last edited by p.jakub88 on Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

p.jakub88
Major

Unread post by p.jakub88 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:17 pm

I managed to add this new tank into one of my old mission add-on for H&D Deluxe ("Santa Claus") for testing purposes (see image below).

The tank's turret could rotate 360 degrees as well as the cannon's barrel itself for a certain degrees (i put 5 degrees up and down for best results).

I put all non-static collision and 4 seats into the tank. The tank is immune to infantry light arms fire (machine guns, rifles, etc) as it should be and the crew inside is safe.

However, when i tried to start the tank's engine the tank won't move normally, but instead is "jumping" from place to place. Only the movement to the sides is possible, but the tank is turning in place.

I tried to look into default H&D Deluxe tank models (Sherman, Tiger, Panzer IV and Panther) and use them as a reference. Somehow the game creators managed to make them movable, but i don't know how.
Attachments
Matilda II shooting.JPG
Matilda II shooting.JPG (94.86 KiB) Viewed 599 times

NilsZ
Sergeant

Unread post by NilsZ » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:00 pm

making vehicles is very strange in HDD. I am also not 100 % percent sure why they are jumping or flying away in some cases. But i think you must make sure that the wheels are in the right order (00 = Front Left, 01 = Front Right, 02 = Rear Left, 03 = Rear Right) and they must be lower the the other volumes of the car.

p.jakub88
Major

Unread post by p.jakub88 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:19 pm

NilsZ wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:00 pm
making vehicles is very strange in HDD. I am also not 100 % percent sure why they are jumping or flying away in some cases. But i think you must make sure that the wheels are in the right order (00 = Front Left, 01 = Front Right, 02 = Rear Left, 03 = Rear Right) and they must be lower the the other volumes of the car.
Hi,

all the wheels are placed well - all the dummies are taken from the default H&D Deluxe tanks - in this case Sherman (plus i added few more for better crew protection). I also lowered all 4 wheels below the tank's main volume (see attached pictures). Unfortunately it didn't help. Maybe i need to lower them more? The tank is turning in place or in some cases flying sky high and falling down to the ground (resulting in destroying it).
Attachments
Matilda right side.JPG
Matilda right side.JPG (57.96 KiB) Viewed 575 times
Matilda left side.JPG
Matilda left side.JPG (63.02 KiB) Viewed 575 times
Last edited by p.jakub88 on Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.

NilsZ
Sergeant

Unread post by NilsZ » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:26 pm

i also had this bug one time when i tried to make a new ship. It was also flying around, i am not sure but i think the chassis is too big for the wheels or something like this. Try to change the wheel positions.

p.jakub88
Major

Unread post by p.jakub88 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:30 pm

NilsZ wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:26 pm
i also had this bug one time when i tried to make a new ship. It was also flying around, i am not sure but i think the chassis is too big for the wheels or something like this. Try to change the wheel positions.
I changed the wheels volumes position and i moved them inside the tank's chassis also making them smaller, but it didn't help.

I also centered all the wheels volumes around the related joints dummies in 3ds max (i looked into a movable T-34 model from Bertgold mod for a reference). However, when i started the tank's engine and moved forward or backward all 4 wheels were turning in a strange way - not around the horizontal axis of the joint as it should be. When i turned right or left both front wheels were turning correctly, depending of the direction that i choose and the max turning angle specified in the Automobil properties section of the Autocannon actor in HDD editor.

I also deleted all volumes close to the wheels, because i thought they maybe colliding with themselves, but this didn't help as well.

Below i posted 2 images of the T-34 tank model from Bertgold mod - it is 100% movable, because i used this model in one of my edited default H&D Deluxe missions. Notice, that only 2 rear wheels volumes are visible - the 2 front wheels volumes are hidden inside the tank's chassis. The tank could drive forward, backward and to the right and left normally. However, its chassis is just a single element - in my case i was forced to "group" all chassis parts together of my Matilda II tank in 3ds max. Maybe this is the problem?

EDIT: Now the Matilda tank wheels are turning correctly, however the tank still cannot move forward or backward - only could turn left and right still being in place. Looks like something is holding the tank into the ground.
Attachments
T-34 right side.JPG
FRONT-RIGHT WHEEL HIDDEN INSIDE TANK'S CHASSIS
T-34 right side.JPG (57.27 KiB) Viewed 559 times
T-34 left side.JPG
FRONT-LEFT WHEEL HIDDEN INSIDE TANK'S CHASSIS
T-34 left side.JPG (52.05 KiB) Viewed 559 times

Navyseals
Corporal

Unread post by Navyseals » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:25 am

My goodness, how amazing!