H&D Deluxe completed in 86 minutes (stereo 3D video)

This is for all Hidden & Dangerous Deluxe talk including mission strategies, setting up multiplayer games and technical support.
Thinkshooter
Private

H&D Deluxe completed in 86 minutes (stereo 3D video)

Unread post by Thinkshooter » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:45 am

Hi all,

Similar to my earlier "H&D 2 in 80 minutes" video, I recently completed a speedrun of H&D 1:

Hidden & Dangerous Deluxe in 86 minutes on Youtube.

I know many people prefer to take their time in missions, and that's completely understandable. This was an extra challenge to get some more entertainment out of the game I like so much.

The video was recorded in Stereo 3D. (H&D has amazing S3D compatibility using nVidia 3D Vision). Please select 2x the intended quality on Youtube to compensate for the double video. I recommend at least 720p.

If you have a 3D TV or monitor, or 3D glasses (even just the cheap Red/Cyan ones), select the appropriate mode using the 3D icon. If not, 3D should be turned off.

Another version of the same video is in the works where I explain some of the tricks and shortcuts.

Edit - the link is here:
Hidden & Dangerous in 86 minutes on Youtube (annotated 2D version)

I would welcome constructive feedback if you have any, especially if you think I've missed a shortcut!
Last edited by Thinkshooter on Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jason
Administrator

Re: H&D Deluxe completed in 86 minutes (stereo 3D video)

Unread post by Jason » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:36 am

Welcome back Thinkshooter, having a look at this now. Can't wait to see how you tackle certain missions so quickly!

zanzibar
Private

Unread post by zanzibar » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:41 pm

Hahaha, well done! Most of the time I was thinking a chat between troops would go like "You go ahead and I'll run for the exit--- er, I'll keep the rear safe!". All of that reminded me how much of a "slowpoke" I am playing these games.

Some quick notes: what was up with the grenades at the start of the first Danube mission? I thought it was possible to play it with just one soldier, like all other missions so it wouldn't be necessary to kill them off? Or were they thrown against German soldiers (if that was the case, it happened so fast I couldn't see any)?

Also: I *loved* how you tackled the 2nd Danube mission. Along with the second Prague level, that was one of the most - if not the most - infurating missions in the game. I almost gave up on H&D the first time I played it because of that one (it didn't help that the first release was buggy as hell; 30 minutes of careful moving undone by troops automatically dying on a loaded game).

Oh man, that climbing over the soldier's back detail on the archives mission <3 I feel like such a noob :P

zanzibar
Private

Unread post by zanzibar » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:58 pm

I just watched the whole thing. Good show trolling all the AI. Bravo! :lol:

Though, now I'm kinda disappointed with the game. Specially with the first mission in Greece. I spent days trying to solve it, and was frustrated to no end with Stealth being apparently useless. I kept wondering if it had to do with equipment, weapons, etc. And now I see you driving that goddamn jeep, which is a hundred times louder than one of my guys crawling with nothing but a knife, getting away with it! :grin:

Thinkshooter
Private

Unread post by Thinkshooter » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:25 am

zanzibar wrote:Some quick notes: what was up with the grenades at the start of the first Danube mission? I thought it was possible to play it with just one soldier, like all other missions so it wouldn't be necessary to kill them off? Or were they thrown against German soldiers (if that was the case, it happened so fast I couldn't see any)?
Good question. As you know, the soldiers are scattered throughout the forest. The soldier in the 4th slot is much closer to the exit than the rest. So soldier #4 is ordered to run towards the exit, while #1-3 are sacrificed. Then I switch back to the 4th one and finish the mission.
zanzibar wrote:the first mission in Greece. I spent days trying to solve it, and was frustrated to no end with Stealth being apparently useless.
To be fair, I didn't do much sneaking as that tends to be slow. But it seems that the only thing you have to watch out for is loud shots and explosions. If your sneaking soldier sees the enemy and shoots, it's over. Same if they see you and shoot.

I found that if you stay in the stream bed, or on the far side of the stream, you'll be mostly safe from the enemies seeing you. The soldiers in the jeep *will* see some enemies, so I made sure they didn't shoot by shouting "Hold fire". You can hear that at 1:15:42.

zanzibar
Private

Unread post by zanzibar » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:07 pm

Ah, brilliant. Thanks for the answers :)

Thinkshooter
Private

Unread post by Thinkshooter » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:18 am

Hi,

In addition to the stereo 3D video, I've prepared a 2D version where I explain some of the tricks in Youtube annotations. Might also serve as a quick walkthrough if someone gets stuck.

Hidden & Dangerous in 86 minutes on Youtube (annotated 2D version)